Everyone’s definition of perfection is different.
For me personally, perfection is being able to get through my work day without a hitch. Then meeting my kids at the bus stop, making a delicious dinner (that everyone eats and nobody complains about!) and having everyone do their homework and head to bed without giving me one bit of a hesitation!
Ahh… if only every single day could be THAT kind of perfection.
When I first started working full-time with my own hustle, trying to find a way to balance everything was torture. I couldn’t figure out how to be the best mom, the best wife, the best daughter, the best friend, the best businesswoman, the best… EVERYTHING, to everyone all the time. (My goodness that’s a mouthful! I’m winded just writing that out!) But in all honesty, I often felt like a hamster on a wheel… running, running, running but getting nowhere quick!
I was trying to be perfect for everyone and it just wasn’t working the way I wanted it to be.
Guess what I had to do?
I had to jump OFF that hamster wheel and be straight up honest with myself… I can’t be EVERYTHING to EVERYONE on EVERY single day of my life.
This is how I started to find a “perfection balance” in my life!
1) I gave myself office hours. I found out that giving myself designated hours to work was the best thing I could do! I wasn’t going crazy trying to work while the kids were home. I just made sure everything was done before they got off the bus.
2) Weekends became all about family and no work. I always put a little disclosure here…if work is something that needs to happen on the weekend, I make it work… but otherwise, weekends are for family. I don’t stress about things for the upcoming week, I know it will get done in due time.
3) I gave myself a designated workspace! Gone are the days working on my couch or a section of my dining room table. I love having a place where my work stays and where I can go and stay “locked” away.
4) I started STOPPING for lunch. When I started stopping for lunch, I was able to catch up on emails and texts and messages from friends and family. I make it a priority to do lunch dates with friends and family.
5) I stick to my schedule. This is something I started doing years ago and I love it. My planner is my livelihood! It has everything in it, and I try to make sure I have an ongoing, running list of assignments, meetings, kid things, work things, you name it!
Perfection doesn’t just happen. You make your life perfect the way you want it once you find out what works best for you!
Don’t paralyze yourself trying to be here…there….and everywhere!! Create your life in ways that work for you and see how wonderful things are for you!